LAFD Launches New SOBER Unit Pilot Program
December 10, 2016
This week the Public Safety Committee approved a grant from the Innovation and Performance Commission for the Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD) SOBER Unit pilot program. The program will partner a Nurse Practitioner with a Firefighter/Paramedic to provide service to serial inebriates – patients who are transported multiple times to emergency rooms for intoxication.
5711767f2ec6a-imageThese individuals comprise a disproportionately large percentage of calls for service. Some individuals are transported to emergency rooms more than once per shift, tying up scarce resources. After treatment they are then released back onto the streets. The SOBER Unit will change this dynamic by working with a new County Department of Health Services operated Sobering Center. This center will help with detox and housing resulting in fewer calls for service.
This program follows in the footsteps of the highly successful LAFD Nurse Practitioner Response Unit, an alternative Emergency Medical Services response model for Los Angeles that allows non-urgent, low-level 911 call requests to be screened by LAFD Firefighter EMTs and rerouted to nurse practitioners within the LAFD organization. In their scope of practice, nurse practitioners can conduct comprehensive on-site assessments and perform, treat and release, or treat and transfer.
More info here: http://laist.com/2016/06/07/911_superusers.php
Hot Topics & News
- Upcoming Events
- Free Workshops
- Upcoming Events
- Notice of Intent to Adopt A Mitigated Negative Declaration – Cal State Univ. Northridge
- Application for Police Permit for 19563 Parthenia Street
- Learn About LimeBike
- Mayor’s Weekly Update
- Commercial Cannabis Signage Ordinance Information
- Construction Has Begun on the Oakridge Estate Park
The Friends of Oakridge is excited to announce that the City of Los Angeles has begun construction on The Oakridge Estate Park. READ MORE
- Los Angeles County Superior Court is seeking qualified citizens to apply for the Los Angeles County Civil Grand Jury.
- METRO Relocation Info
- Re-imagining Reseda Blvd – Help Make the Matador Mile!
- LA Needs to Borrow $50 to 70 Million to Pay Out Lawsuits, Committee Concludes
- Possible New Gas Leak Reported at Porter Ranch Near Plugged Well
- LAFD Launches New SOBER Unit Pilot Program